Thursday, February 28, 2008

Trains, Planes, and Big Wheels



Jonah with his new trains on Christmas morning



Yesterday we went to the birthday party of our little friend Benjamin, albeit an hour late we did make it. (I am currently battling my back pain which seems to pop up in the most inconvenient times, and the only solution I have found that works is to rest- ha ha!)


So the party was at a toystore, and of course they had Thomas trains, Jonah was having fun at the train table, and I made the mistake of pointing out Emily- a girl train who Jonah loves (also our caregiver who he loves too.) Well this train is in the $20 bracket because it comes with a tender car, very cool. I would never have bought it for him, but in my weakened state, and not wanting to have a big ordeal about getting out of the store, it was our comprimise. He was so excited for Emily to come home with us, and join his other trains, he immediately went to the tracks when we got home and started playing. The highlight of the week perhaps.


Then when Jon came home from work we all went to the park, and Emily came too. When we all got back home it was discovered that, alas, Emily the train did not make it back with us. So two tired parents took turns scouring the park with a flashlight- to no avail. So sad, too bad.

A couple of lessons were learned here. First don't buy a two year old a twenty dollar toy that is small enough to lose. Second, don't take your special toys to the park. And third, make sure you keep track of your stuff when you take it out of the house. Oh well, I guess we will survive.


I did have a vivid dream however that I found the trains at the park, under a bucket in the sandbox and we were all so happy, I guess I was more affected by it than he was.
Is this pregnancy hormones or what?


Me with my mom (Patricia), Aunt Barbara, and sister Kim

at Christmas brunch-made entirely by Jon (the Daddy)

This week marked the arrival of Nana (my mom) and one of the boy's favorite people. She is back from her adventures in Bali, and we are happy she is home and safe. And we also said goodbye to Aunt Kimmie, my sis, who moved back to la la land after only two months in cold (and boring?) Sonoma County. Goodbye Kim, we'll miss you. Welcome home Nana.


Jonah talked a lot about Nana coming home on an airplane and I think he really missed her.


We decided to forgo gymnastics after all, and enjoy the beautiful weather and cost efficiency of the park. (Plus we had to look for Emily again.) I guess gymnastics was more of something I was excited about than Jonah, so we will wait a while and give it another try later.


Jasper is having fun at school, getting lots of attention from the little girls there. His sleep is still an issue with us. It's a little like a guessing game between Jon and me. If he sleeps well we say - "well he got a bath today", or "he didn't get the nose spray", or "he got two feedings before bed". If he sleeps terribly, then we say, "maybe he needed the nose spray", "maybe he didn't get enough food", "maybe the new supplement is not working". Maybe it's because I didn't wear my lucky red socks today. It's all so arbitrary and nothing seems to be consistent with a good night's sleep. We will consult the ruins, the tarot, the tea leaves and the horoscopes and see what we come up with.


(wink wink)





Now that the weather is nicer we are going to start taking some bike rides as a family (well we might have to figure something out for Jasper). I am thinking of getting one of those little bike trailers that goes behind the bike for the kids to sit in. I hope Jasper will tolerate something like that because then he could come along. Jonah wants to ride his big bike, but his little legs are still too short to reach the pedals, so he has adapted and likes to stand on the seat and ride it like a scooter. It's pretty cute, and he can get going fast! Let's hope that spring is here to stay, and warms us all up. We need some sunshine!!

Happy Sunny Day!

No comments: