Monday, February 25, 2008

Our extended family




I was just thinking about how precious this time is, when the kids are small and life is relatively simple. The cute things they say that I hope to remember are quickly lost to me when life continues and new things come up. For instance, Jonah one time told me that he had bees in his nose....and he calls scabs catipillars, I have no idea why. Yesterday when I picked him up from his nap he said to me, "mommy, I farted!" and then he said "change my diaper" well that's a first! I love being able to ask him questions and have him respond, usually, with an understandable answer. These days,per my request, he has been saying "No Thank You" instead of just yelling "NO!" I'm so glad that he is able to have a way to express himself without the constant and standard two year old answer to every question. Usually if the answer is yes, he will say "no...um... yeah!" The no is so automatic. We hear it with Jasper too, all the time, he says "uh-uh" and we are thinking, could he really be saying no that much? Well if he takes his cues from little brother it should be no surprise.


I want to help cultivate kindness in Jonah, and Jasper, to have good manners, use kind words, and to be helpful and grateful. Jonah is such a great helper, the other day I was just saying to Jon that I really needed some water, and JoJo said "my get it!" he ran into the kitchen, pushed his stool to the table, and came back with my water bottle, all without being asked! I loved that.

He is also so proud of himself when he gets to do little jobs around the house, he has this little strut and arm-swing once he feel that he has completed something useful, like getting me a napkin while I'm feeding Jasper, or does some sweeping or cleaning up. It's very cute.


I have to be more creative with things like putting away toys or puzzles, the other day I was helping him clean up a number train puzzle and with each number there are things on the train, and he was saying "my love butterflies... my love soccerballs..... my love turtles.....my love doggies....." and on and on with such enthusiasm.





It is so fun to see how the kids interact. Jonah was playing with some friends the other day (Samantha and D.J.) and Sam is a little older and very verbal, she was telling him things that I would say, and he would listen to her so well, and answer her back. It is great to see them having their little conversations without parental intervention. Samantha is also one of those amazing kids who really connects with Jasper. She wants to help with the tube feedings, and the other day when we went to visit she said "it's Jasper, my buddy!" He just loves getting attention from other kids, especially when they seem to understand him and, like Sam, get into his world and gently touch him, or talk to him closely. The smile and laugh that he lets out is enough evidence that he feels such a profound connection from moments like these. It's amazing to me how a two and a half year old can tap into what many adults are so uncomfortable with. Lucky for us we have a wonderful group of moms and kids who are all loving and accepting of Jasper to a degree that his disability is not really an issue, he is just Jasper, and that's how it should be.


Another example of this loving connection is our niece and the boys cousin, Sydney. Last time we visited her she was also very interested in doing the tube feeding. Jon would put a piece of tape on Jasper's clothes so she could have a place to put the syringe. She cozied up to Jasper several times to play and snuggle with him, and gently cupped his face to say hello or give him kisses. It was very sweet.





Cousin Sydney with Jasper


Jonah is very sweet with his brother too, and has recently been doing little exercises with his hands and feet. He will grab on to Jasper and pull on his hand or feet and say "up, and down" like we do. They are so funny to watch when they do play together and don't know I'm watching. The other day we were outside and Jonah was pushing Jasper on the swing and they were both cracking up. I was watching from the porch and thinking that here was another moment I never want to forget.


We are so grateful to have so many people in our lives, family and friends, who have supported Jasper (and all of us) with their love, time, and donations for treatments. It is because of all of these people that we have been able to give Jasper such opportunities and certainly there are more adventures to come as he grows and gets older.



Here are some pictures of our extended family, and some of the boys' favorite people!






Jasper with his Grandparents in Bakersfield


Jasper with Uncle Jimmy and Uncle Sammy




Jon and Jonah with Grandpa Chris



Jasper with Emily (above) and Oly (below), our fabulous caregivers!


These are just a few, more to come. We have so many people to thank that I can't begin here, but I do see what they mean when they say it takes a village to raise a child. So how many people does it take to raise three?? We shall see!

No comments: