Thursday, February 21, 2008

2/21/08 Jonah Christopher

Jonah christopher


Today Jonah had his first day of Gymnastics!

He did great and had lots of fun, he is learning about listening and following directions, controlling his body, and taking turns with the other children. It was a small class so he got lots of turns, he did better than I expected, I was so proud of him and excited for him to be doing so well at something so new!

When we got home I let him help me put away the silverware and bottles after I washed and dried them. He really likes doing real and important jobs, and helping out Mommy and Daddy, he is also a big help to his brother Jasper. I realize that he can do a lot more than I ask of him, so I am planning to enlist his help in many of the household chores so that he will enjoy doing them and not resent it when he gets older. I am not using any kind of reward system, because I am hoping that the task itself will be the reward and will be for him just part of being in the family, rather than something he gets a sticker for.... especially because he has a ton of stickers at his disposal.

We have thomas the train stickers everywhere! When he puts one on his arm or hand he says "on my mano" or "on my brasso", he wants to know what everything is in spanish.

We have also been talking a lot about how to spell things, he likes to hear me spell all the daily words and now he is taking his trains and reading the letters on the bottom to tell me how to spell Thomas, Fred, Toby, etc. I have finally warmed up to the Thomas and Friends video because he loves it, and now I have the songs going on in my head all day and night!

Jonah started preschool recently, his school is called Frog and Rose Playgarden it is a small home-based school that is inspired by the Montesorri and Waldorf teachings. The class is simple and creative, the kids do baking, painting, outside exploring in nature, and lots of play. They all eat lunch together and use real glasses, utensils, and napkins etc. Jonah loves his teacher and the kids, and they all love him too. He is the youngest one so the older kids like to help him learn the rules and guide him. So far he has not complained once about me leaving him there, I hope it stays that way!




No comments: